The Pass Plus scheme was introduced by the Government as a way of encouraging new drivers to continue to develop their skills.
Newly qualified drivers are much more vulnerable than they realise. Statistics show that new drivers are more likely to have an accident within their first two years of driving than at any other time in their driving career.
While many life skills are learned by trial and error, the consequences of error on the public highway may be catastrophic.3
- Two young people under 25 die every day in crashes in Great Britain
- In their first year of driving , one driver in five is involved in a crash
Its not just about age newly qualified drivers are a higher than average risk whatever their age.
Most drivers become safer by covering more miles and by experiencing a wider variety of driving situations. However, it is not enough just to let new drivers learn by experience.
Too often they learn the hard way
PASS PLUS offers new drivers professional instruction, helping them to
- Gain quality driving experience safely
- Become a more skilful driver
- Develop a positive driving style which is both enjoyable and safe
- Reduce their risk of being involved in an accident
What is Pass Plus?
PASS PLUS is a voluntary scheme that offers benefits to :-
- Newly qualified drivers- safer driving and discounted motor insurance
- Insurers fewer claims and less expenditure
- The general public safer roads
- NHS reduced costs of health care
The key elements are
- A syllabus developed by the DVSA and the driving instruction industry
- A structured , competency based training programme delivered by qualified Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs)
- Discounts available from participating insurance companies
PASS PLUS is a six module training syllabus to develop the skills and knowledge of newly qualified drivers and broaden their driving experience.
Modules will not take the same amount of time to cover, but each course must consist of a minimum of six hours of training, five and a half of which must be practical in-car driving sessions.
The aim of PASS PLUS is to enable the new driver to
- Developing their existing skills
- Acquire the new skills and knowledge that make up positive driving
- Further develop anticipation skills, plan for and deal with hazards safely
- Understand how to reduce their risk of having a crash
- Maintain a courteous and considerate attitude to other road users.
If a new driver feels nervous driving on their own , Pass Plus can also help to boost their confidence.
If you feel you could benefit from a PASS PLUS course contact us today